Monday, October 3, 2011

HTM: Explanation of Art.

Art is indescribable. It is an abstract idea that cannot be defined. It could be argued that any object on the entire planet is art. It could also be argued the opposite. It is truly impossible to give a definition of art. Art means something different to everyone. No one person has the authority to judge what actually is art, nor can anyone judge whether it is good or bad. There is no such thing. Art just is.

On the flip side, I do believe people are entitled to their opinion. Everyone has a right to argue what they believe is or isn’t art, but in essence what they are arguing is merely a representative of whether or not they like a given piece of art. While I am not in favor of several of the pieces we looked at today I do believe that all of them should be considered art. Even though I do not particularly like most of them, someone else out there does.

To make one more point, while I do believe that the pieces like Artist’s Breath should be considered art, I feel that the artist is simply making ridiculous things just because he knows that once it has his name on it, it will be worth a fortune. It is impossible to argue that such a piece is not art, but such acts would cause me to dislike him as an artist.

1 comment:

  1. I like the distinction in your last sentence. Quite interesting.

    ReplyDelete