Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Art Experience 2: The Sweetest Swing in Baseball


The Sweetest Swing was the first production that I have seen in the Annie. I was horribly disappointed. The first thing that I noticed when I got there was that it was all old people, and I don’t just mean 40’s and 50’s I mean literally elderly bodies. I was on the balcony and there was more hair on my head than there was in the entire audience on the floor. The production had a horrible start, and the main actress was unimaginative and whiney. She did not portray her character well at all during any parts of the show. I actually fell asleep during the first act and was woken up by my friend about 15 minutes later. I still knew exactly what was going on in the show after my nap because nothing had changed. It took the entire first act for something interesting to actually happen. The second act was better, but not by much. I could tell we were almost done so I was more patient but the play ended with no final action or conclusion, everyone just seemed to carry on with the crazy artist. I thought it was weird. I thought that the lighting and set was marvelous and that it had a lot of potential, it just was a poor choice in show by the theatre. I hope the next show at the Annie is significantly better. 

1 comment:

  1. I think that Rebecca Gilman has gotten way too much coverage of her plays. She is not that strong of a playwright. I really don't like her stuff that much.

    ReplyDelete