Friday, October 7, 2011

Art 1

One of my first weekends down here at Rollins COllege, my sister picked me up to stay with her. During my little visit we decided we would spend a night at Disney World and see one of their firework shows. I know there are some out their that do not believe that fireworks is art, but it is not only fireworks that Disney does, it is the photo collage and the synchronizing of photographs, firework, and music.

The first time I saw the new show at Disney’s Magic Kingdom my mind was blown. My mind was completely boggled when I saw how an image projected onto the castle then turned into a real life firework timed perfectly. The hard work that the Disney crew must have put into making the show is astounding, and appreciated by everyone who views it. Each and every night Magic Kingdom is always completely packed with people from all different places coming together in front of Cinderella’s Castle. The fact that one showing can bring all of the different types of people together is an art form in itself.

When the new show came out at this time last year, everyone’s first reaction was amazement. The crew took down the old set up from the previous show and put up all the new work for this show in one night! The new shows animation was jaw dropping for everyone in the audience, I would have given anything to be in the crowd for the first nights showing.


Art 2

One of the requirements for my Critical Media and Cultural Studies class was to attend six hours of the Global Peace Film Festival. When I first heard that we had to attend this much I was ticked off. I for some reason had no interest in seeing any of the movies that were playing, and being told that I had to go was not helping the situation out for anybody. In my head, for some reason, I believed that the movies that were played in film festivals were the cheap ones that no move theater would accept because they were to poorly made. But man, was I completely wrong!

All of the films that I went to were intriguing in their own ways. Some were indeed obvious that they had a smaller budget than others, but it did not take anything away from the detail in the film. Many of the films I attended were not set up like a regular film, with a plot and an ending and a climax. Instead they were more informational films, including everyday people just answering a couple of questions about a current hot topic taking place in the world, or it was a film crew following around a group of people and seeing how their lives have been affected by a hot topic. However after attending the Film Festival, even more than necessary, I was glad that I opened my eyes and appreciated all I saw.


Art 3

Music is one of the most important parts of art in my life. I can honestly say out of any type of art it is definitely my favorite. It can always take you back to a certain time, or just put you in your own little world when needing an escape from the real world. Therefore, when I found out I was going back home to New York for a weekend I could not have been more excited to go to one of my favorite local place. Suzy’s, a restaurant popular among everyone in my town from the ages of 16-25 hangs out at Suzy’s. Its similar to a rundown diner, but on Friday and Saturdays everyone heads there to hear some of the local bands play. Often the bands that would be playing would be from my town so it would always be cool to see them go from how they act in school, and then how they are on stage. All the different types of bands that would come down and play at Suzy’s opened my eyes to whole different styles of music. Granted I am still a big fan of the top 100’s but now I like the occasional random underground band. The catchy tunes that they come up with are always classics and original because they do not have any type of managers trying to control them. It’s the little change ups when I put my iPod on shuffle when I hear a band from Suzy’s come on and play that I miss it the most, but always knowing it will be there makes the returns home even more special.


Art 4

One of the past weekends here at Rollins both my sisters and I got together and went to go see Lion Kind 3D. Let me just start off by saying, I was amazed by how well it was done. It is no wonder why it has been beating everyone at the box office, it is a classic that was made 100 times better by the work put in to it to make it 3D. Once the first scenes started rolling, my sisters and I were immediately brought back to our childhoods when the tough times were not being able to play after dinner.

Being able to see one of my all time favorite movies come back to the big screen was amazing. With all the new technology changes that have been going on in the movie world, I was afraid I was going to get stuck with all my Disney VHS’s and never be able to watch any of the classic movies again. But now I believe Disney would be foolish to not think to 3D other of their old classic movies and release them back in theaters. I know for sure if Finding Nemo, or Hercules were to make a come back to the theaters I would without a doubt be there opening night.

1 comment:

  1. A wide variety of events.

    There is a Florida film festival every spring at Enzian, our art house cinema. They bring in big names and films for their 10 day festival.

    ReplyDelete