Sunday, October 9, 2011

Art Occurence 2

On September 23rd, I went to see The Sweetest Swing in Baseball. The play is about an artist who underwent depression. After committing suicide, the artist, Dana, was sent to the mental institution, a place where she found peace. The whole play is circling around Dana finding what she really wants, and what makes her happy.

The play is very funny. There were a lot of memorable moments like when Dana has a conversation with an alcoholic guy and a sociopathic guy; or when Dana first pretended to be Darryl Strawberry when she knew nothing about baseball. I really liked Ryan’s role as Gary. I like how even though Gary was a sociopath, he knew what Dana really wanted. I thought the transitions of the play was very interesting. On the first transition, I like how people came out and put the bandage around Dana’s wrist to suggest that she had committed suicide without showing the actual event. I love the ending of the play when Dana became tenacious, and took on her boss. I also like how Alexis just randomly dropped the F-bomb in the end, which made me wonder whether that was Alexis as Dana or Daryl that did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment