Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Book of Mormon

I am not one to go to Broadway or to any theatre show for that matter, but I would make an exception for “The Book of Mormon.” From what I saw in class I found it to be hilarious and quite entertaining and if given the opportunity I would see it. What I enjoyed the most about this play was the fact that it was not would you normally see on Broadway; no special effects, no glitz and glam instead just funny and offensive songs. Take example the skit about spousal abuse, cancer, and being gay; the writers turned it into a very vibrant and fun sounding song. The content of the song is not typical of Broadway and something that you would not see in classic plays such as “Cats” or “Annie.” Additionally I enjoyed how the writers made “Hasa Diga Eebowa” meaning, “Fuck you God” paradoxical to the Lion King’s “Hakuna Matata.” Hopefully this play sends waves throughout the theatre world to gear plays towards a more youthful crowd rather than to the middle-aged and very young.

No comments:

Post a Comment