Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Book of Mormon

Personally, I found the Book of Mormon songs to be very inappropriate. I’m really rather surprised that it won best musical in the recent Tony’s because of its crude, over-the-top humor. I don’t think that religion needs to be a “hands off” issue on the stage, or in modern entertainment, but I don’t think it should ever be bashed or criticized in the way that it was in the Book of Mormon. I would definitely agree with anyone who says they went too far in the next to last song we listened to in class. I found it to be much more offensive than funny.

I believe people in entertainment should have the right to do or say whatever they want in their own show as long as people are given a fair warning beforehand. I personally would never go see this show and I find it surprising that so many people find it funny.

I don’t think so much that the content of the play is bad, just taken too far. A play based on the idea of Mormons, or any religious group for that matter, travelling to a country to try and convert people makes a lot of sense and can obviously be very funny. I just don’t think that humor needs to be presented in such a vulgar way.

No comments:

Post a Comment