Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Art Experiences

Experience 01:

Little Shop of Horrors tells the story of Seymour (a meek flower shop assistant) and his problematic plant, The Audrey II (named after his co-worker, and the love interest of this story). The story takes place in the 60’s and on the poverty stricken Skid Row. As the story progresses, we discover that Audrey II, is not any ordinary plant – he (yes he) is in fact, an extraterrestrial, man-eating plant who uses a very sharp tongue to convince Seymour to collect his ‘plant food’.

The Rollins production of Little Shop of Horrors was absolutely brilliant. John DiDonna did a superb job in the direction of this production. The set, lighting, sound effects, props, and costume/make-up were all perfectly constructed and composed.

As for the acting, the entire cast did a wonderful job. Taylor Sorrel (Seymour) set a new standard for Seymour. The progression from shy-nerd to tragic hero was flawless and the vocals were good too. Jaz Zepatos did a wonderful job as Audrey bringing a much more powerful voice to her than I have ever seen before. Robert Burrows (Bum and Audrey II vocals) brought a rather powerful jazz tone to the devil plant, and Brian Hatch (Orin + five others) was amazing as usual in is portrayal of multiple characters. Not to mention, the comedic timing of the entire company had the audience entertained every second of the show.


Experience 02

On October 8th, my cousin, Jennifer, and I spent the day at the Ocoee Founder’s Day festival. Basically, the entire city of Ocoee (and surrounding towns) gather together in a giant field, surrounded by tents filled with overpriced vendors and listen to live country music. The festival is actually an entire weekend event, but they day that we went on, is the biggest of all three. We set up a nice area directly in front of the stage and then bought all of the food and drinks we would need. The only thing left to do was sit, listen and enjoy. The acts included Michael Ray, Hazzard Kounty, Little Texas, Daryle Singletary, and most importantly…Mr. Joe Nichols.

By the time that Joe actually went on, it was dark out (and we later discovered that it was around 8:30). We were both extremely excited because Joe Nichols is one of our most favorite country singers – we danced and sang along to every song and had an amazing night. Joe’s portion of the concert lasted for about three hours and then we had to run to beat the traffic. We had such a great time and you can’t beat a entire day of live country music (three hours of which were one of the best country musicians of our time) for free! ☺


Experience 03

I recently went through a rather informal dance audition. It would have been much more professional, but the department had a ‘technical’ issue, and had a rather difficult time advertising the actual audition. So long story short, I talked to Dr. Sherry (in charge of the up-coming dance show) and he asked me to attended Ms. Les’ inter./adv. Jazz class as my audition. The experience was rather interesting because that was actually the first ‘technical’ Jazz class I had taken in around three years – I wasn’t nervous, but it was more challenging than I thought because I found myself falling into old habits instead of adapting to the new teaching style. After class, Ms. Les called me over and we had a rather nice conversation. She said that she thought I would be able to keep up just fine, and that she was going to put me into two of the three numbers, and that she wanted me to shadow the class to get me back into a dance class before rehearsals start. So even though the audition was as formal as I’m used to, it still turned out all right! ☺


Experience 04:

Last Sunday, I went with my mother and her co-worker to see The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn. I’m sure everyone has his or her own opinions on this story, but I for one love Twilight (not as much as Harry Potter, but still…). This installment of the collection wasn’t the best, but it held its own with the other three movies. The storyline included the first ¾ of the book, from the Wedding up until “the change” (and that’s all I’ll say about that). The acting was tolerable, and the set/effects were what made this movie worth watching. I love Stephanie Meyer’s work, and because of that, I will definitely see the last chapter of this saga, but I would only suggest it to true Twilight fans, or people that aren’t too ‘stuck-in-their-close-minded-ways’ about what a Vampire story should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment