Sunday, November 13, 2011

Art Experience 7

I am follow-spotting for last show semester, Little Shop of Horrors. For those who don't know what follow-spotting is, it is when a person controls a light hub to bring up spotlights on performers during scenes. This person is responsible for fade-ups, fade-outs, and for keeping the light on the performer as he/she follows does their blocking.

At first I thought this would be pretty simple, it's not. Creating fades is difficult when the lever controlling the fades is very sensitive. It is also very easy to lose the performer while they are performing.

Opening night was the first time that my fellow follow-spot and I were able to do our jobs without any errors. We were synced in our simultaneous fades, we kept the performers in the light and it was altogether a successful.

Follow-spotting has opened up a number of ideas and concepts to me as lighting designer.

No comments:

Post a Comment