Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Art Occurrence 1

Last weekend I attended the 9-11 remembrance concert at the Knowles Chapel. The concert consisted of three works. First was a movement of an Orchestral Suite by Bach. Following it was the massive, emotional Requiem by Mozart. This was the heart of the concert. The performance was concluded with a movement from Brahms’ German Requiem.

The concert was very packed when I arrived and I was forced to sit upstairs where I couldn’t really see. However, this did not upset me because I knew with the acoustics of the chapel that the concert would sound much better up stairs- and it did! The Bach movement was lovely and the strings did a wonderful job with this always popular piece. The Requiem followed. It was very emotional and Dr. Sinclair did an excellent job executing all parts of it. The vocalists sounded wonderful and gave me goose bumps as they grew into the climaxes of Mozart’s most emotional work. It’s always a pleasure to hear this work performed in public. It is definitely one of those pieces that sounds so much better in person than it does on a recording. Lastly, they played a movement of Brahms. It was really quite wonderful also. It was much less intense than the Mozart leaving the audience with a friendlier taste in their mouths as they left. In short, it was really a very marvelous experience.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had been in town. I would have liked to have attended the performance.

    Thanks for writing up your response to it.

    ReplyDelete