Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Meet the Teacher





So, as the picture above indicates--I am a bit of theatre kind of guy. I acted in a number of plays through college but realized that I had no real ability to act, so I took a route where I could still interact with the theatre. I studied dramatic literature in college (BA Wake Forest; MA University of Maine; PhD University of Tennessee).

I was hired at Rollins to teach dramatic literature, which I did during my first five years here, but then I started dabbling in teaching film. Currently, half of my courses are film related, the other half theatre.


Now for an interruption from one of the coolest television shows ever.



Ok, back to a few other things about me:

Every year I take students to London to see the theatre and visit the art museums. We go during the holiday break.

As an undergraduate I studied in London for a semester and while there I saw 55 plays. British theatre became my area of specialty, especially contemporary drama. Earlier this year I had a book published on a British playwright (who also writes screenplays--The Road, Enduring Love) named Joe Penhall, whose most famous play is Blue/Orange and has a new play premiering in London in December.

And now the quick sum-up:

Favorite music: Arctic Monkeys, Ben Folds, Dixie Chicks, Alison Kraus, Tears for Fears, Jamie Cullum, Vampire Weekend

Favorite Movies: No Country For Old Men, A Single Man, Hachi: A Dog's Tale, Meatballs, Die Hard

Favorite Artists: David Hockney, Joseph Wright of Derby, Eugene Delacroix, Georges Seurat

Favorite Plays: Arcadia, The Pillowman, The Homecoming, The Weir, Oleanna, this is how it goes

1 comment: